Discussion Forums

need help

General questions and chit-chat about the ECU+.

need help

Postby Rantes87 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:13 pm

while i was loading the dsp firmware my computer died. i charged my computer back up and reconnected it to the ecuplus and it wouldnt work. please tell me there is something i can do to fix it. my car wont start either. Tom please help!
Rantes87

Re: need help

Postby tlcoll1 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:00 pm

Your ECU+ is recoverable, but it's a bit of a PITA:

1. Remove the silver box from your car. To do so, disconnect the black and white connectors from the box. The white connector has a tab on it - press down to release. The black connector is held in place by two "fingers" - wiggle the black connector under the fingers.

2. Open up the silver box. There's 4 screws on each end.

3. Slide the circuit board out.

4. Near the center of the board, on the top is a jumper labelled "BOOT EN" (JP1). It'll have a shorting block hanging off of it. Plug the shorting block across the two JP1 pins.

5. Leave the circuit board out of the box, and plug it back into your car's ECU+ wiring harness. You only need to connect the white connector. Lay the circuit board on the floor somewhere away from metal - like completely on the carpet. Make sure nothing is shorting on the board.

4. Turn on the car, but don't start it. Open a command prompt (Start->Run, then type "cmd" and press ENTER).

5. Type in:

cd "\Program Files\EcuPlus\firmware\DSP" (note the quotes surrounding the path name)

then type in:

dir

to show you the files in that directory. Then type in:

BtLdrW -4 -pN HEXFILE

In this command,

-4 is required.

-pN is the serial port number you talk to the ECU+ with: -p1 for COM1, -p2 for COM2, -p3 for COM3 and so on.

HEXFILE is the .hex file for the version of the ECU+ firmware you had in the box *before* the failed upgrade. If this is your first upgrade to the new betas, that'd be dsp_ver210.hex. If you had a previous beta in there, it'd be dsp_ver215beta1.hex or dsp_ver215beta2.hex.

Once you get the serial port sorted out, this should work and your ECU+ will be recovered.

6. Disconnect the circuit board again and un-plug the shorting block (hang it off of one of the JP1 pins). Then put the circuit board back in the box. You're all set and back to running the previous firmware. Now, re-do the firmware upgrade within ECU+ Win.

This problem is why there's 100 different "are you sure's" built into the software!

Let me know how it goes.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby Rantes87 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:51 pm

awesome thanks for the fast response. im going to try this in the morning when its light out. this time ill make sure my computers charged :oops: dont know what i would do without my ecu+.
Rantes87

Postby Rantes87 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:06 pm

alright i couldnt wait till morning. went out in the cold to give this a try. and it worked :D thank you so much.
Rantes87

Postby tlcoll1 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:06 pm

So now you should be updated to the latest beta. Get out there and test!

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby wreck'd » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:09 pm

Tom,

I have a silver box that I bought used 2.5yrs ago that I have never been able to communicate with. I want to try this but I don't know what firmware was on it. Is there anything I can do?
wreck'd

Postby tlcoll1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Running the SerTestW software (C:\Program Files\EcuPlusW\Win32) will tell you whether anything is coming out of your box. Once you verify that, the latest beta's (and the upcoming release) is more than happy to upgrade from any silver box firmware to the latest. I'd recommend that path.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby Rantes87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:20 pm

yeah so im an idiot. I went to finally upgrade my car from a beta to the final release and as i was upgrading my avr firmware it worked fine. but instead of hitting close i hit start and it went through the process again but stopped before finishing. it said something like it was unable to connect to dvr firmware or something. so i tried again and now i can't connect to the ecu+. can you save me again Tom :wink:
Rantes87

Postby Rantes87 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:34 pm

so am i pretty much screwd? :(
Rantes87

Postby tlcoll1 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:33 pm

On this one, you should be able to update the AVR firmware at any time. Stopping half-way through an AVR update shouldn't do anything harmful. Are you saying that you can't connect to the ECU+ at all now after stopping an AVR update in mid-stream? If so, then something really funky happened and I'll need to diagnose it myself.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby Rantes87 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:51 pm

musta just been a loose wire or something, i tried it again today with success! :wink: ill post some runs when i go to the track in a few weeks! can't wait
Rantes87

Return to General Q&A