Discussion Forums

ECU Plus for other patforms?

General questions and chit-chat about the ECU+.

ECU Plus for other patforms?

Postby wreck'd » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:23 pm

Tom, I have recently been tuning some other types Of cars using other piggy backs, namely the F/IC and the E-Manage and I have to say the ECU Plus beats them in all aspects hands down. The features, software interface and the tech support are far above those guys. And to think that you are a one man band. Maximum respect to you for what you have done and for the fact that you are still offering support and updates when there is no financial benefit to you.

It is just unfortunate that the platform you chose to build it for has probably less need for a piggyback than any other (and I do know that you deveLoped it before the advent of ECU Flash and that it still has features that you can't do with the stock ECU). Anyway I am wondering if you have ever seriously considered or are maybe even developing a universal version of the ECU Plus. A good brand to build it for would be Toyota as there is really not a lot of options if you have a Toyota.

I would like to hear your thoughts.
wreck'd

Re: ECU Plus for other patforms?

Postby tlcoll1 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:00 pm

wreck'd - I'd love to do an ECU+ for other platforms, but in order to do so I have to have someone local who'd work with me on the project. Of course, I'd also like it to be a platform that would make me some money. The problem is that I'm just a one man show, and the reason the ECU+ works on EVOs and before that, DSMs, is that I had one of those cars and was willing to mess around with it. I spend some time talking to people at drag strips, and I haven't found anyone locally who'd be willing to "loan" me their car for development. So, until either I get a new car or I somehow find a local performance shop with the need for such a device, I don't see it happening.

BTW, "universal" engine management systems pretty much all come about because a manufacturer spent a bunch of time developing separate units for multiple cars and decided to save hardware development costs by building one unit that could serve all of the markets they know about. In my case, I don't have enough experience with different cars to know what features are needed in a "universal" system.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Return to General Q&A