Discussion Forums

WOT problem, log attached

Car-specific questions and tuning advice for the 1995-1999 Turbo Talon and Eclipse cars.

WOT problem, log attached

Postby Action_B » Tue May 14, 2013 9:52 am

Please check out this log and let me know what you think may be the issue.
- Brandon
Action_B

Re: WOT problem, log attached

Postby tlcoll1 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Brandon,

What's changed lately on your car, and could you describe the problem from your perspective?

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby Action_B » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:08 am

Oddly nothing changed in my setup. I did have an odd series of events that happened, not sure if it corresponds to the problem because I don't go WOT in my daily driving.

Before I noticed the problem I left my headlights on in class and required a jump. I think I recall having loss of power after the jump, but not certain. The next day, I went to class in my car, the turbo timer froze up on its count down and the car ran for 5 hours in the parking lot :o . Needless to say I was surprised when I came back out to see my turbo timer stuck on 42 seconds and my car still on. After this I can confirm for sure the car had no power at WOT.

Detailed symptoms:
Car idles pretty normal, drives pretty normal, fuel is normal at idle.
When I get on it at part throttle and spool turbo, car feels normal
When I go WOT my car it has a SMOOTH loss of power, its not jerky or stumbling, engine and turbo sounds normal just loses power.

So this is what I have done:
1. Cleaned my air filter
2. changed my plugs BPR7ES with proper gap (.028-.030)
3. Did a compression test, this was NORMAL
4. Fixed boost leaks (had a pretty bad one)
5. Increased my fuel through ECUPLUS to see what would happen, I was able to get it pig rich with no change in symptoms (roughly +40-50% to obtain this)
6. Checked my turbo, seems good, no shaft play, spins freely.
7. Checked fuel pressure at the filter at IDLE it is NORMAL, can't check it at WOT because I just have an under hood guage
8. Brought my car up to the local Oreilly auto parts store to have the alternator and battery checked, battery was normal, alternator voltage was normal, ALTERNATOR AMPERAGE WAS VERY LOW (<30 AMPS, the machine doesn't read below 30)

Here is what I'm thinking: There is low fuel at WOT, this makes me think I'm getting not enough fuel, (I checked to make sure no unmetered air is getting in). It is probably not injectors because my plugs are white across the board and car runs normally at idle. Its probably not spark related because of the SMOOTH loss of power, I read on the forums from a knowledgeable guy that ignition problems usually caused stuttering and sudden sporadic loss of power. The car is not smoking or anything else unusual.

So I have these possibilities in my head:
- Could by caused by obstructed fuel filter that is limiting flow at WOT but flows enough for idle
- Could be caused by fuel pump going back that is limiting flow at WOT but flows enough for idle
- Could be caused by FPR or vaccum hose, however, I doubt it because it is reading normal with and without vacuum line attached
- Could be caused by a BAD ALTERNATOR that is unable to pump out enough amperage to the pump to maintain pressure at WOT

Any Input at all would be greatly appreciated. As you can see I'm trying very hard to figure this out. I'm changing my alternator here in a bit.
- Brandon
Action_B

Postby Action_B » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Guy who tested my alternator wasn't too bright, alternator is fine. Stumped on this one.
- Brandon
Action_B

Postby tlcoll1 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Brandon,

Did you actually attach a log to the first post? I don't see it.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Return to 2G DSM Specific