GM MAF question

Car-specific questions and tuning advice for the 1995-1999 Turbo Talon and Eclipse cars.
Action_B

GM MAF question

Post by Action_B »

I'm considering a blow through setup on my 2g DSM. I can't decide whether or not to take that screen out of the GM MAF. I've heard that it reads better with it on, however, I have heard reports of the screen coming out and being sucked into the motor and causing damage.

For ECUplus users like myself, does it make a big difference either way? Any advice/tips on this would be appreciated. Also, I might be moving to a location that has emission testing, would this effect the ability for my car to pass an emissions test (sniffer only test)?
- Brandon

Rantes87

Re: GM MAF question

Post by Rantes87 »

i took the screen out of my maf and didnt really notice any difference. i dont think it would do anything to emissions.

tlcoll1
Site Admin

Post by tlcoll1 »

I wouldn't take it out. The GM MAFs are already way high flow.

Tom

Action_B

Post by Action_B »

Yeah, I'm not really worried about the flow though. I'm worried about the screen coming out and lodging somewhere in my engine. I've heard this happened to others on DSMtuners.com . Few people have described this happening in threads. Flow wise I'm not concerned. I'm not a drag racer I just like to mod my car for some fun so top of the line parts and a couple hp here and there is not my main concern.
- Brandon

4g636

Post by 4g636 »

If you have a 2g running Ecu+, you will more than likely run into the dreaded P0300 (Random Misfire code) while using a blow through setup. That is if you are also running a 1g engine. I know from experience.......
I am broke, just like my DSM.

Action_B

Post by Action_B »

I have 2g engine but wouldn't mind getting a 1g one day.
- Brandon

tlcoll1
Site Admin

Post by tlcoll1 »

I have one instance of a P0300 on a 1G motor in a 2G, but the P0300 seems to be unrelated to that fact. I am always interested in investigating such things, though.

Tom

Action_B

Post by Action_B »

tlcoll1 wrote:I have one instance of a P0300 on a 1G motor in a 2G, but the P0300 seems to be unrelated to that fact. I am always interested in investigating such things, though.

Tom
Well I'm located just 30 minutes from Maryland so if you ever need a test car for anything let me know!
- Brandon

tlcoll1
Site Admin

Post by tlcoll1 »

Sounds good - I appreciate it!

Tom

Return to “2G DSM Specific”