Discussion Forums

Crank's and won't start.

Car-specific questions and tuning advice for the 1995-1999 Turbo Talon and Eclipse cars.

Crank's and won't start.

Postby awdbuilder » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:39 pm

The car just cranks and won't start, it has fuel psi and spark. The tach is working so that tells me the crank sensor is working, but it almost sounds like it is out of time when it does crank, it cranks like it has too much timing, but i have tried it several ways and it makes no difference. I am new to this still but while the unit is cranking the timing doesn't change at all or either does the injector pulsewidth. I have checked injectors with noide light and they are ok, i am at a loss, just need some guidance. While cranking it smells like it just way rich, the plugs are deffinently getting black, it does sputter a little, but never fires up.
awdbuilder

Re: Crank's and won't start.

Postby tlcoll1 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:24 pm

Can you remove the ECU+ and see if it cranks then?

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby awdbuilder » Mon May 03, 2010 11:06 am

I tried with the ecu+ out of it and it still does the same thing, just cranks and won't start. I am stuck. Really the only thing that was done and it did run was bigger injectors were installed. Went from 550cc to 850cc injectors. Then installed a crane ignition box and had problems with it ever since. Took it all and it still won't start......
awdbuilder

Postby tlcoll1 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:16 pm

I'd suspect the ignition box since it seems like there's more things to go wrong. Can you use a timing light on the spark plug and/or the ignition wires to see if things are firing? And there's also the "pull the spark plugs and set the tip on the block" trick to see if the plugs are firing.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Return to 2G DSM Specific