Discussion Forums

any gains from stock turbo and gm blow through conversion?

Car-specific questions and tuning advice for the Lancer Evolutions. EVO 8 and 9 mostly, but earlier models welcome.

any gains from stock turbo and gm blow through conversion?

Postby mad_viii » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:10 pm

What up peeps,

So XMas is just around the corner and I am making my whish list.

I was thinking about doing the gm blowthrough conversion using the dejon U.I.P. and a dejon 3" intake pipe and filter. Just woundering if there is any power to be had with this setup.

Current mods are:
hks 272's
10.5 hotside
ebay o2
3" catless turboback
pte 750 injectors
forge rs bov

Currently putting down right around 300 whp on dynodynamics (350 or so on mustang). I don't really want to go the alky or meth route, so Im trying to decide between the blow through setup and a new FMIC.
HKS 272's -4i/-1e | 10.5 | 3" catless | Walbro 255 | PTE 750's | K&N Panel | HPF LICP | ECU+ | ECU Flash
mad_viii

Postby MitsuJoe » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:29 pm

I can say that if you excedding the stock MAF airflow then you are in need of an upgrade. Most will tell you that you are not.

Although the restriction present at the MAF with your mods may not be reason enough to upgrade by itself. I do not believe in mis-information. The only GM MAF experience I have had was on a 1G DSM and the tuning and freeing up the crappy 1G MAF was priceless. The EVO MAF is designed much better.

Also those 750 injectors seem to be overkill for your setup...
ECU+ Black, 3" TBE, XS Power FMIC/Tubular manifold, LPI LICP, 10.5t Hotside, HKS 272 cams set at 2i/1e, Hallman MBC, Walbro 255, ARP head studs, LC-1 Wideband, GM MAP. Soon: Injen intake and Upper IC, Invidia O2, posted TB and more coated parts.
MitsuJoe

Postby mad_viii » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:22 pm

I'm hitting 80% duty cycle on the 750's at 7500 rpm so they are just right. :D and they give me plenty of head room in the future.

I had to get rid of the stock injectors cause one of them was bad, I got the 750's (actually they were supposed to be buschur 680's but when rc engineering cleaned and flowed them they all flowed 750cc) used and had not intended to use them until I swapped out to a larger turbo, then I discovered I had a bad stock injector and swapped them out.

I agree that my stock maf is not maxed out, just wanted to see if anyone had picked up any power by going the gm route. I don't want to mess with the stock maf / intake pipe / filter box setup in trying to go to an open element filter, so I figured If I was gonna go to an open element filter, I would just go ahead and do the blow thru conversion.
HKS 272's -4i/-1e | 10.5 | 3" catless | Walbro 255 | PTE 750's | K&N Panel | HPF LICP | ECU+ | ECU Flash
mad_viii

Postby mad_viii » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:25 pm

And..

Thank you for the feedback Joe.

I guess it comes down to if I plan to upgrade the turbo latter... I think the conversion will make things easier in the long run If I do upgrade.

Hey did you get anything out of the tubular manifold btw?
mad_viii

Postby honki24 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:34 pm

I didn't get any "gains", only great driveability w/ VTA BOV and quirkiness. Mine went out in less than 10K miles. I was at the track and rediculous hiccuping aggrevated me enough to go back to the OE MAS, and everything is fine again. Oh.. .had to ditch the HKS too, got an APS, all is well now.

-freedom to run tons of airflow
-basicly PnP with ecu+
-simple to do
-Great drivability

-poor longevity
-greater possibility of damage due to water/meth/alch. injection

*This was a brand new 3" GM MAF

-on another note, I think I'm going to pick another one back up just in case I feel the whim to switch back... I already have the intake tube.
Advoacate of the Theocratic Reign.
http://www.FlatlineMotorsports.net
03 Evo 8
honki24

Re: any gains from stock turbo and gm blow through conversio

Postby da1sexmonk83 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:27 pm

I am getting ready to go to this setup. Should I remove the screen?
da1sexmonk83

Return to EVO Specific