Discussion Forums

GM 3-bar map sensor accuracy

Car-specific questions and tuning advice for the Lancer Evolutions. EVO 8 and 9 mostly, but earlier models welcome.

GM 3-bar map sensor accuracy

Postby rogersmith » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:01 am

I've read of people getting different readings from their MAP sensor and boost gauges. I was wondering which one is more accurate.

I don't have a boost gauge but I'm going to be installing a GM 3-bar MAP sensor and tuning my boost according to the sensor.
rogersmith

Postby honki24 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:49 am

I assume the GM is more accurate than the guage. The guages are all calibrated to read "0" when off, even if you are on the mountains, where it should read a small bit of vaccuum. I see a 2psi difference between my (expensive) Apexi guage and my GM. I'm tuned at 26psi on the GM, but my Apexi shows closer to 28-29. lol, it's a good show for the riders.
Advoacate of the Theocratic Reign.
http://www.FlatlineMotorsports.net
03 Evo 8
honki24

Postby rogersmith » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:12 am

Well I got my sensor hooked up and had another question in the same area as this topic.
On my ECU+ log my boost numbers jump up and down constantly, so it comes out to a jagged line.
Is this normal? If it is then what numbers should I go by? the minimums of the curves or the maximums? or maybe draw a median line through the curve?
rogersmith

Postby honki24 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:49 pm

I "draw a line through the spikes", because the electronic sensor is picking up the varying pressure changes due to valve openings, which are pretty much irrelivant to you for general tuning.
Advoacate of the Theocratic Reign.
http://www.FlatlineMotorsports.net
03 Evo 8
honki24

Postby tlcoll1 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:55 am

Yes - draw a mental line between the jaggies. The next release of the software improves this a bit.

As to who to trust - I'd say trust your boost gauge first. MAP sensors read absolute pressure, and you're normally interested in boost as a relative-to-atmosphere pressure. For the next software release, one of the to-do items is a enhancement that'll let you tweak the ECU+ settings for the MAP sensor so it agrees with the gauge.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Return to EVO Specific