Discussion Forums

Blance shafts

Car-specific questions and tuning advice for the Lancer Evolutions. EVO 8 and 9 mostly, but earlier models welcome.

Blance shafts

Postby Sleeper8 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:58 am

Hello I wanted to get some input and see what everyone says about this.

My budy has a 6 bolt motor that has the balance shaft taken out and we do them all the time on 6 bolts motors.

When I bought my cams the guy ask me if I was going to take my blance shaft out and I had him send the kit to do so.

The question is how many of you out there have this done and if you do not could you tell me why since this 7 bolt is differnt than the other 7 bolt motors?

Any help with this would be great..
Sleeper8

Postby honki24 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:14 pm

I haven't done it b/c I dont need every drop of power the motor can make. But many people do it with no consequence outside of a bit rougher idle.

Personally, if you're not going for record breaking or ultra rediculous quarter mile times... I don't see the need to remove the balance shaft.
Advoacate of the Theocratic Reign.
http://www.FlatlineMotorsports.net
03 Evo 8
honki24

Postby blackbichGSX » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:58 pm

I remove balance shafts so I don't have to worry about bearing or belt failures. Also when you do a timing belt there is no balance shaft belt to change or take out the timing belt. The only time I take them out is when the motor is already out. It costs about $40.00 and the benifits out weight the possible effects. Some people will not use the stub shaft, instead they use the turned down balance shaft to help eliminate possilbe oil pump failures, but I don't think it is that big of a deal. I have them taken out of my 1G, 2G and I'm going to take them out of my Evo when I put rods and pistons in. The main thing to me is having an off-center weight spinning twice RPM's just being held with one bearing is nuts.
blackbichGSX

Postby honki24 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:37 am

I hear ya, it is nuts. I know it works on DSMs and I suppose it can work on the lancer if you take precautions to prevent oil issues... but again... I still don't see why, unless you're building an all-out drag car. You can replace your AC belt w/ an RS version and make as much power as removing the balance shaft...
Advoacate of the Theocratic Reign.
http://www.FlatlineMotorsports.net
03 Evo 8
honki24

Return to EVO Specific