Discussion Forums

Gear logging

Car-specific questions and tuning advice for the Lancer Evolutions. EVO 8 and 9 mostly, but earlier models welcome.

Gear logging

Postby honki24 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Hey Tom, long time no request ey?

I've got one now though. (hows smoothing coming btw?)
Could we log what gear we're in? That'd sure be nice. It sucks to figure it out by speed. I think this thread might help you in your determination of how: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=319928
It seems you already have the inputs you might need, maybe we just need to put in the correct tire size (like for the dyno feature)?
Not only would this be good for tuning, it would really help for roadracers. I can honestly look at a log and tell where I was on the track, but figuring out what gear I'm in is a pain in the butt and the part that takes the longest.
Advoacate of the Theocratic Reign.
http://www.FlatlineMotorsports.net
03 Evo 8
honki24

Postby tlcoll1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:46 pm

I might do that one for free as part of another feature. It seems do-able - I just need to buckle down and do it.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby Deepnine » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:09 am

Thats one thing you could do with Math channels, i have requestet some time ago.

http://www.ecuplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=664
Deepnine

Postby tlcoll1 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:21 pm

Not quite, in that in-between gears the value kinda needs to "hold". When the clucth is in (or you're spinning), there's no mathematical relation between speed and RPM. If I have the gear as an internal signal, I can't have it go off in the weeds.

But point taken! :wink:

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby Deepnine » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:58 am

If you take RPM, speed and clutch switch, then you can always calculate the gear. Only if the clutch slips it gets strange.

if clutch switch is a integer with 0 pressed and 1 released:

gear = (rpm/speed) *clutch

if gear is zero, then clutch is pressed. then you get 7 different values for a 5 speed transmission including reverse.

Or if its not possible with clutch switch, you can just ignore the values, that don't give a correct "in gear" value.

thats how i do it now with excel,only the clutch is missing.

Deepnine

Postby honki24 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:48 pm

lol, I didn't understand you one bit. I agree that math channels might be cool, simply cuz I'm a dorky engineer, but I think I should like to leave this one to the master (Tom).
03 Evo 8
honki24

Re: Gear logging

Postby tlcoll1 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:11 am

honki24 wrote:Could we log what gear we're in? That'd sure be nice.

I spent some time working on this tonight, and given a few minor fixes to the new custom logging capability ( http://www.ecuplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=664 ), you can use that feature to log what gear you're in. Here's what you do:

1. Setup custom logging with one custom setup. This logs the value RPM/Speed. Set this up as shown in the first screenshot.

2. Drive around and make a log. Make sure you spend some quality time in all five gears.

3. Open the log and you'll see something like the second screenshot. Notice the flat areas - those are the ratios of RPM to speed for all of the gears. The screenshot shows 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, pause (I had to slow down), 5th.

4. For each of the sections of time where you're in a given gear (the flat spots), note the low and high values of the flat areas. Write these down while adding some slop to the values. See the third screenshot.

5. Using notepad, write out a long-ass formula like this:

(((RPM/Speed)>=180) & ((RPM/Speed)<=300))*1 +
(((RPM/Speed)>=110) & ((RPM/Speed)<=140))*2 +
(((RPM/Speed)>=80) & ((RPM/Speed)<=90))*3 +
(((RPM/Speed)>=60) & ((RPM/Speed)<=64))*4 +
(((RPM/Speed)>=41) & ((RPM/Speed)<=45))*5

In the formula, fill in the range of values you noted for 1st in the first line of the formula, the range of values for 2nd in the second line, and so on.

6. Finally, set up another custom log value, as shown in the fourth screenshot. In this, you'll use the formula you came up with in step 5. Be sure to make one long-ass formula out of those five lines. Save this custom log value.

7. Do a log. If you've got it set up right, you should now be logging the gear properly. See the fifth screenshot.

Note that 1st is a tough gear to get right because of the low RPMs and so-so accuracy of the speed sensor at low vehicle speeds. You'll have to add some extra slop for 1st, and it may take you a few tries to get it right. Higher gears will tend to be easier.

Pretty cool, me thinks.

Tom
Attachments
gear3.jpg
Setting up the first custom log.
gear3.jpg (33.37 KiB) Viewed 9437 times
gear4.jpg
The initial custom log of RPM/Speed.
gear4.jpg (57.2 KiB) Viewed 9437 times
gear5.jpg
Noting the ranges.
gear5.jpg (11.05 KiB) Viewed 9437 times
gear6.jpg
The final custom log setup.
gear6.jpg (34.21 KiB) Viewed 9438 times
gear7.jpg
The final results.
gear7.jpg (52.46 KiB) Viewed 9438 times
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby honki24 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:16 am

Awesome!!!! now, was all of that done with a 5 speed evo? If so, I'm just gonna copy your formula if that's okay. (is the one you posted it?)

lol, when's this release coming out? I didn't actually have time to bastardize my versions due to the car breaking so often and me racing the other half of the time.
03 Evo 8
honki24

Postby tlcoll1 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:33 pm

Yea, it was done with a 5-speed EVO, and that's what I posted. My tires are stock size - you may need to tweak the formula a bit if your tires aren't. Also, you need the very latest software - e-mail me if you want to try this.

I don't know when I'm going to make a release - there's some more stuff I'd like to get done before that.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby malibujack » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:58 am

I think you can log Clutch Switch also, you can then multiply by the state of the clutch switch and you'll be able to tell when its depressed.
malibujack

Postby tlcoll1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:02 pm

This is now built-in rather than requiring a formula, and the gear value is zero'd when the clutch is pressed.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby honki24 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:51 am

Hey Tom I don't know where in the world you're at now or if you look at these boards but I just installed ECU+ software onto my surface pro to be able to check in on my '03 Evo 8 that's been running this for EVER! I've tracked this car for years now and it's a dedicated track car and has been for like 12 years and I've not changed the tune ONE BIT in that time!!! I have an evo X that I tune with ecuflash and I have to fiddle with it from time to time but I just thought I'd report on my huge success with the ECU+. Heck, I've even blown a motor on the X and never had a hiccup on the VIII. In fact - I recently chopped my exhaust on the VIII just below the turbo and so I have NO O2 sensor and still no issues. ...I do plan to fix that but anyways, just saying. Reliable as heck! I pray you're well, sir - this invention of yours has been a blessing to me.
03 Evo 8
honki24

Postby tlcoll1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for reaching out. The ECU+ continues to run in my EVO VIII as well with no problems.
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Return to EVO Specific