Discussion Forums

Installing Ecu+ on car with custom tune

Car-specific questions and tuning advice for the Lancer Evolutions. EVO 8 and 9 mostly, but earlier models welcome.

Installing Ecu+ on car with custom tune

Postby brianong18 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:19 am

I have an VIII with bolt ons and a custom Ecu flash tune. I just bought Ecu+. My question is if there is some way to copy the tune to Ecu+ or would I need to tune from scratch?
brianong18

Postby honki24 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:44 am

Chances are that with the lancer you'll want to tune with ECUFlash. If you're new to it and need to learn more, go to the ECUFlash subforum at EvoM. There are walkthrough stickys that will help. The ECU+ is an AMAZING logger that gives your car many external abilities that can't be done on the stock ECU. (You can read the crazy long PDF manual, too long for me to list)

Basically the answer to your question is this: Your tune now is stored on the car's main ECU. It can't be touched. Any changes you would make to the actual tune (fuel/timing) via ECU+ would be ON TOP of what you already have tuned in to your stock ECU. If, for some reason, you wanted to tune exclusively with your ECU+ and you were unhappy with your current tune on your ECU, then you would need to flash an OE ROM (tune) back to your ECU before tuning with the ECU+.

I'll say this: Tuning w/ the ECU+ is much easier than using ECUFlash (provided that you have the correct equipment: WB, etc...) but ECU+ is really a piggyback so the best way to get a solid tune without "tricking" your car's computer is to do it through ECUFlash. But like I said, I would never go back to logging to some excel file, ECU+ has an amazing GUI and extended functionality over the car's original abilities.

Hope I've helped.
Advoacate of the Theocratic Reign.
http://www.FlatlineMotorsports.net
03 Evo 8
honki24

Postby brianong18 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:00 am

So I can keep my current tune and do more tuning on top of it with Ecu+. How would I install the Ecu+ without it messing with the current tune? Is there a way I can just copy the values of the current tune and put them in the Ecu+ as a baseline tune to further mess around with? I was planning on tuning with Ecu+ mostly. I only wanted to mess with Ecu Flash when I got bigger injectors to fix latencies and what not.
brianong18

Postby brianong18 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:10 pm

Oh. Just a side note. Anyone know if 1200cc injectors can idle decently with just Ecu Flash?
brianong18

Postby honki24 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:13 pm

;) Okay... I'll try to reword myself. Your current tune (on the OE ECU) is IN the OE ECU. That means that nothing short of replacing your ECU (behind the glove box) will get rid of your tune. The "tune" on your ECU cannot be transferred to the ECU+.... they are totally different things. They opperate differently and speak different languages. The good news is that you don't need to. If, in the ECU+, you leave all your timing and fuel values at zero, you are simply running the "tune" that is on your OE ECU. Does that make sense? Meaning your ECU+ will only modify the tune that is in your car now. If you make changes with the ECU+ and then remove the ECU+ you will be right back at the "tune" you have now. If you install the ECU+ and make no changes to the tables you will have the "tune" you have now. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Edit: I know 1000cc injectors can be made to idle well with ECUFlash, but I don't know about 1200.
03 Evo 8
honki24

Postby brianong18 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:06 pm

Gotcha. I can't use my Ecu Flash settings in the Ecu + because programming language is different. I can use my tune as a baseline though and tune with Ecu+ to get further dialed in. I just need to set the Ecu+ fuel and timing settings to 0 before I install. Correct? That way Ecu+ won't mess with the current tune when I put it in. Thanks for your help.
brianong18

Postby brianong18 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:12 pm

More questions. Sorry. Do I need a MAP sensor to log boost?
brianong18

Postby rogersmith » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:04 pm

You do need one. Most ECU+ users use a GM 3-bar MAP sensor. But Tom has programmed new features that allow ECU+ to use any MAP sensor.

As a side note, you can now get a 3-bar MAP sensor from mitsubishi. The MAP sensor on the evo 10 is 3-bar. You can use it if you don't want extra things in your engine bay and don't want to do any extra wiring. But this will require you to do some modification to your ECU with ECUFlash if you don't want a check engine light.
rogersmith

Postby brianong18 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:32 pm

I'm still pretty new with this stuff so please bear with me. Where does the MAP sensor install to and how is it installed? Do I need a pigtail to wire it up or does it attach somewhere?
brianong18

Postby brianong18 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:58 pm

brianong18

Postby rogersmith » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:05 pm

That is a nice price. Maybe I'll get one too.

Yes, you'd have to wire it yourself. It should work. Just have to check if it's 5 volt but I'm pretty sure it is. Is there a pigtail available for this?

You'd probably install it near your intake manifold, T into a line that gets boost. I forgot which one I T'd into. I got my 5 volt power line from the stock MAP sensor line.
rogersmith

Postby brianong18 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:07 pm

Don't know if there's a pigtail available. So as long as it's a 5 volt sensor I'm set right. Does the sensor wire into the Ecu+?
brianong18

Postby tlcoll1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:04 pm

That sensor can work with the ECU+, assuming:

1. It's 0-5v.
2. You're willing to set the ECU+ up to match the curve of the sensor.

If you don't know the latter, I'd try to find it out before buying it to make sure there aren't any gotchas.

BTW, "4 bar" is "-1 bar" along side "+3 bar". +3 bar is 45 PSI. Good chance you won't be running that high, so you're actually better off getting a lower-bar sensor. More bars means a sensor with lower resolution in the PSI range you probably care about. Unlike AT&T phones, more bars in more places isn't necessarily better!

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby brianong18 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:48 am

Ah. Didn't know about the resolution thing. I think i'm going to get a 3 or 3.5 bar MAP sensor now. Does the MAP sensor wire into the ECU+ or does it wire up to some stock wires and the ECU+ reads the signal from there?
brianong18

Postby honki24 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:31 am

That is a great price for a big boost map sensor though.
03 Evo 8
honki24

Next

Return to EVO Specific