Discussion Forums

Fuel Pump

Car-specific questions and tuning advice for the Lancer Evolutions. EVO 8 and 9 mostly, but earlier models welcome.

Fuel Pump

Postby Omegared » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:11 am

I was curious to know if you can add a feature where we can turn the fuel pump off and on. At the track, I need to drain my pump gas and add race gas , it would be easier and safer to do this with the car off.

Thoughts ?
Omegared

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby honki24 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:12 pm

There would be no way for him to do this with software. The ECU+ is wired into the ECU harness. It doesn't have a lead to the energized fuel pump wire. The ECU+ would need a lead to the energized wire to send a 12V signal to it. You'll have to rig up a switch if you want this. Since this is for the track you might just consider adding an emergency kill switch that could toggle between "on" (where a 12V line turns it on no matter what), "normal" (where the car toggles it on/off), and "off" where the connection is totally killed to the FP.
Advoacate of the Theocratic Reign.
http://www.FlatlineMotorsports.net
03 Evo 8
honki24

Postby Omegared » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:59 pm

There isnt a way to connect one of those many wires from the ecu+ to pin-22 (Fp relay) to make it turn the pump off and on ? If I'm not mistaken , I think pin-11 is a 12v source. So if we can some how wire them together using ecu+ as the switch it should work. I'm sure I am making it sound easier said then done of course.

Its just one of the options that dsmlink spoiled me with I guess. Ecu+ is still a great logging/tuning tool though. I love it.
Omegared

Postby honki24 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Yeah, I suppose that would be doable. Tom would need to write the software that would allow it. Only issue I might see is that I would think the fuel pump is relatively high current, for which I don't know if the ECU+ is equipped.
03 Evo 8
honki24

Postby tlcoll1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:50 pm

Correct on all of the above. The ECU+ probably couldn't handle that amount of current if you wired it in directly - you'd have to wire an ECU+ - controlled output to a solenoid, and that's probably not what people would want to do. If there were some command that could be sent to the stock ECU over the OBD-II port to turn on and off the pump, I could add that.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby honki24 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Doesn't the pump pressurize when you turn the key to the "on" position? If so perhaps you could just make some mode that would kill the injectors (and coils if possible) during a key-on situation. This would have to be done w/ the laptop in the car though since you would have to take it back out of this mode to start the car eventually.
03 Evo 8
honki24

Postby Omegared » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:59 pm

honki24 wrote:Doesn't the pump pressurize when you turn the key to the "on" position? If so perhaps you could just make some mode that would kill the injectors (and coils if possible) during a key-on situation. This would have to be done w/ the laptop in the car though since you would have to take it back out of this mode to start the car eventually.

If the evo is like the a dsm then yes, when the key is turned to the "on" position the pump does prime/pressurize. Tom if it was possible to keep the pump in this situation instead of the quick prime/pressue then "off", that would work out just great.
Omegared

Postby tlcoll1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:18 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have direct access to either the injectors or the coils. Again, if there's a magic command that can be sent to the ECU, I could add support for it, but AFAK there isn't any magic command.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby wreck'd » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:42 pm

It should be fairly simple to do as long as the ECUPlus has the available hardware. The ECU triggers the pump by grounding one side of the fuel pump relay coil. If the ECU plus had a a wire that spliced into the fuel pump wire all it would need to do is ground that wire. Since the relay is there, current shouldn't be an issue.
wreck'd

Postby tlcoll1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:38 am

Interesting. There are unused outputs on the ECU+ that could be put to use for that. I just need to get some software done to make that happen.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby Omegared » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:46 pm

tlcoll1 wrote:Interesting. There are unused outputs on the ECU+ that could be put to use for that. I just need to get some software done to make that happen.

Tom

Great . So there is a possibility that this can get done. If there is anything I can do to help , please let me know. This is something I really need for racing.
Omegared

Postby tlcoll1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:47 pm

Ok.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby EvilEvo8 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:20 am

Any update on this?i need this funcion too.
EvilEvo8

Postby tlcoll1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:13 pm

I'll do it for the infamous "next release", which is coming along really slowly.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby honki24 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:27 pm

lol
03 Evo 8
honki24

Next

Return to EVO Specific