Discussion Forums

End of retail sales for the ECU+

The latest news about the ECU+, including software updates, tips and new features.

End of retail sales for the ECU+

Postby tlcoll1 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:15 pm

On April 2nd, 2008, I shipped the last ECU+ to Mach V Motorsports. Effective immediately, the ECU+ will no longer be available as a retail product. :(

The ECU+ has been available since 2004, but it's now become too expensive to produce. The rising cost of electronics parts and labor means that it's no longer cost effective to sell at the current price point. When building electronics, the only way to drive down the production cost is to build very large quantities, and that requires an investment that I just can't make given the low profit of a consumer product like the ECU+.

What does this mean for you?

1. If you were considering buying a new ECU+ in the future, you're out of luck. There won't be any more new ECU+'s sold in the future, so you'll have to find one on the used market.

2. If you're the owner of a "black box" ECU+ and wanted to update to the "silver box" units at the discounted price, you've waited too long. Hey... you've had 2 1/2 years to update! What have you been waiting for? :D

3. If you're an existing ECU+ customer, there's no change.

Item 3 means that ECU+ development and support will continue for some time. This web site, the forums, and the tech support e-mail will all be staying around for the forseeable future. Just because the ECU+ is no longer being sold as new doesn't mean that development and support will in any way stop. I still have a number of things that I want to do to enhance the product, and there's still a pile of customer suggestions that need to be done. So... if you're an ECU+ customer, you're still covered. That's the right thing to do, so that's what I'm going to do.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Return to Announcements and Tips